DanieBlog - This post will guild you how to install Pycharm community in Linux Mint 18.3.
Pycharm is the best software for writing python programs, and Pycharm also supports other languages like Bash.
According to information from the homepage of Pycharm, you need to pass some of the following requirements.
- Hardware requirements
- 4 GB RAM minimum, 8 GB RAM recommended.
- 1.5 GB hard disk space + at least 1 GB for caches.
- 1024×768 minimum screen resolution.
- Software requirements
- Python 2: versions 2.6 and 2.7.
- Python 3: from the version 3.4 up to the version 3.7.
Download Pycharm community
I am using Linux Mint operating system 18.3 Cinnamon, I think it will work well with other OS as well.
To download the Community version Pycharm, click on this link and choose to download with the corresponding Community version.
Install Pycharm in Linux
After you download the Pycharm package file to your computer, the file is named
pycharm-community-2018.3.5.tar.gz (the latest version at the time of this article).
Right click and extract the installation file above. For example, I downloaded it to the Desktop and unzipped it there.
Now, open up Terminal and type the following command to move the unzipped folder to the
/opt directory (this folder needs root access).
Recommended Reading: How to add a menu item in Linux Mint
$ sudo move /home/danie/Desktop/pycharm-community-2018.3.5 /opt/pycharm
/home/danie/Desktop/pycharm-community-2018.3.5 with the exact path of the directory you extracted.
There is a problem, when you move it to the
/opt directory, each time you access Pycharm, you need to switch to root (or sudo) to use. To avoid that, type the following command to move the pycharm directory to your user.
$ sudo chown -R danie:danie /opt/pycharm
Replace from danie with your username.
Add Pycharm to the list menu
You won’t want to open Pycharm with the command line, you need to create a menu to call it conveniently through the graphical interface.
Right click on the Start Menu icon, select
Configure …. At Menu tab, click the
Open the menu editor button.
Next, click the
New Item button and fill in the content like the image below.
- Name: PyCharm Community Edition
- Command: “/opt/pycharm/bin/pycharm.sh” %f
- Comment: The Drive to Develop. This is optional.
Now, you can open the list menu, click Pycharm to start the program.
So you can successfully install Pycharm on Linux Mint 18.3 like me. I have been using it for several years and have not found any problems.If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more video tutorials. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook.
If you appreciate what we share in this blog, you can support us by:
- Stay connected to: Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | YouTube
- Subscribe email to recieve new posts from us: Sign up now.
- Start your own blog with SSD VPS - Free Let's Encrypt SSL ($2.5/month).
- Become a Supporter - Make a contribution via PayPal.
- Support us by purchasing Ribbon Lite Child theme being using on this website.
We are thankful for your support.