DanieBlog - How to add a menu item in Linux Mint. I’m using Linux Mint and sometimes I use some software that does not automatically add it to the menu.
The software does not add itself to the menu
Most of the software on Linux supports automatically added to the menu. When you download a .deb file and install it on a Linux Mint machine, I think it will automatically work. But some software does not automatically add it to the menu, which is the portal software.
The software you just downloaded, unpacked and can be used immediately. The problem is that each time you use it, you have to find out where the software is located, which is very inconvenient.
Instructions for adding a menu item
Below, I will show you how to add a software to the menu item. In my example, I use the XMind software, which is a portal software. I extracted it and copied it to
Step 1, right-click on the Menu icon in the bottom left corner of the screen (main menu of the operating system) and select Configure …
Next, when the menu configuration window appears, click Open the menu editor.
Step 2, you choose the category that you want the new menu item belongs to. In the demo, I’ll select the Other category. And click New Item on the right side of the window.
Step 3, you enter the information of the software as shown in the image below and click OK.
- Name: this is the name you want to display software in the Menu.
- Command: you click Browse and point to the executable file of the software. In the demo I point it to the file whose path is
- Comment: your comment, whatever you want to write.
Check the new menu item
Now, let’s open the menu and check the Other category for what’s in it.
As the result above, you can now open the software through the menu in a convenient way. You can apply this to any software or program you write.If you liked this article, then please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more video tutorials. You can also find us on Twitter and Facebook.
If you appreciate what we share in this blog, you can support us by:
- Stay connected to: Facebook | Twitter | Google Plus | YouTube
- Subscribe email to recieve new posts from us: Sign up now.
- Start your own blog with SSD VPS - Free Let's Encrypt SSL ($2.5/month).
- Become a Supporter - Make a contribution via PayPal.
- Support us by purchasing Ribbon Lite Child theme being using on this website.
We are thankful for your support.